Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How to Make Hummus

Given my recent exploits in the Middle East this post was inevitable!

I love making my own hummus. It's very satisfying. The satisfaction was added to here as I made Pita bread to eat it with.

Here's how I make Hummus (me and the rest of the world).

Ingredients:

1 x tin of chick peas
2 x tablespoons of tahini
2 x crushed cloves of garlic
2 x tablespoons of olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 a teaspoon of cumin

Boil the chick peas until soft.

Then drain the chick peas.

Add the chick peas along with the remaining ingredients to a blender (I used my Cuisine Systeme 4200). Pulse until all the ingredients are combined to form a paste.

Add a couple of tablespoons of water and pulse again until the consistency is a smooth wet paste. Salt to taste.  Save the water from the tin of chick peas and add here, you may need to repeat this step a couple of times to get the right consistency.

Done.

I recently served this Hummus with homemade Pita Bread, made using this recipe. This was relatively successful, although I feel the recipe requires a little more salt than stated.




If you've never made your own Hummus please do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment